Friday, July 23, 2010

Sad News from Niassa





A few weeks ago there were over 20 Elephants poached in the reserve in one instance. I have heard the number at 21 and 23 but 1 is too much. Poaching is a problem all over Africa and has in the past few years been on the rise. Many reasons can be attributed to this rise in our area but it boils down to price and demand. China is in my opinion, and let me be perfectly clear this is my opinion! China is in our area one of the main reasons that poaching is on the upswing. I will elaborate on a later post but for now I just want to talk about what this means to me.
For me lately I have been on the road to becoming a bit "hunted out" as I put it. I love hunting and all that it involves especially in Africa. The trackers, the PH's the baits the skinners and of course the animals but for me the challenge of hunting wild game in Africa is becoming second to the challenge of preserving it. I 'm by no means a "big hunter". I have had the great fortune and pleasure to hunt a lot of places around the world and none so absolutely fulfilling as Africa. I owe a lot of my experiences to my friend Jeff McCollum who started dragging me along with him many years ago. He brought me to Africa for the first time and I will always appreciate him for that and more.
Another friend taught me and showed me the virtues of the Niassa Reserve and the dedication of those that fight for the respect this hunk of earth deserves especially within it's own country of Mozambique. Derek Littleton adopted me back when I was very new to the ways of Northern Mozambique and always showed me true friendship as I attempted to make sense of often times the senseless logic that is the way in Mozambique. Many others helped with my education there and I still have a lot to learn but Derek taught me something most important. Just to stop what I was doing occasionally and enjoy Africa. When you stand in the presence of such extreme mass and power that is the African Elephant you immediately feel the insecurity of that the small piece of ground your two feet occupy. Then he or she looks you up and down and hopefully concluding your no threat he or she continues with whatever things occupy an elephant during the course of a day. The same with the rest that live there, they come and go for the most part allowing your presence sometimes some times not, Occasionally they grant you a small stay and if your lucky they will allow you to observe some event that you will find both astounding and mesmerising. This event can't be described to others so as to achieve the same as seeing it for yourself and afterward you probably wont even try, no you just file it away for yours and yours alone, your little gift from somewhere special. This poaching thing is real, real guns, real animals, real blood, real death. Think about this small herd standing at mid day under a grove of trees, cooling themselves with the flap of their big ears. Young juveniles and newborns playing or laying asleep nearby and then they come with their AKs and in a matter of minutes twenty or more of these massive creatures lay dead, dying or wounded and the gunmen move around shooting the survivors on the ground in the back of the head. Many of the young have been paid no attention to during the shooting, they won't go far without their mothers and as they return or stand there beside their family members they are shot also. The tails and tusks are taken, cut and chopped out of the flesh and skulls and that's it. Some of the poachers are from local villages in partnership with men from Tanzania who bring the guns and connections to get the ivory out. There is a problem here. This act of poaching comes not because there are no anti poaching patrols prowling the bush in each hunting block and not because the Reserve itself isn't on alert and actively pursuing all avenues to alleviate the problem, really you will never stop all the poaching sometimes you have to let Africa be Africa in that some poaching comes about to feed a starving African. Most of this is small game, birds etc. but a lot more is for profit and as time goes by hopefully the education of the indigenous people will prove out to remedy these small problems with locals. What I am worried about is the presence of organized groups of foreign, well supplied and well armed, well connected poaching rings that are directly connected to the illegal exportation of ivory. This problem is moving into Northern Mozambique and the real problem is the almost none exist ant support from the national government. Here in lies the Rub. The government Headquarters of Mozambique is far to the south in Maputo. More and more news of mining for minerals and drilling for oil and gas comes out of the North. Could it be the Mozambique Government would just rather see the animals and the Reserve of the north just go away and in so doing open the gates to, well to progress? I am seeking the advice from others as to what I could do with my small network of friends, perhaps send letters to the various Government Ministers? I think pressure from our Government would help but even more some carefully written press spread across various Internet news venues might prove powerful. What do you think? let me know.

5 comments:

  1. a well written piece. man oh man. elephant poaching...HATE it. safari craig has been in maswa bird shooting (near serengeti NP)...last i heard it was 25 poached elephant. it is happening again everywhere. and you are right. it is armed organized poaching. government rounds being used. and yes. china china everywhere. this all started after the Beijing Conference when China "bought" Africa. these are the repercussions. the raping of this continent for its resources. ivory being one of them...along with hard woods, oil, diamonds etc etc. very very tough situation to deal with. because its all so linked to governments in power...but EXPOSE as much as you can. through the right channels...anti corruption units?? American Govt? i don't know. but the situation is deteriorating and fast. thanks for posting this. its really really well written. best and salaams, janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the post. It is discouraging to think it is happening so much in Niassa. Around Tsavo, in Kenya and all throughout Tanzania it is on the increase. Your thoughts and sympathies on the organized nature of the poaching gangs versus the livelihoods associated with small scale, subsistence hunting are echoed by many. The disturbing trend are the large, well organized gangs who have no problem moving large amounts of ivory. I hope that things are looking up in the weeks since this post - keep us informed.
    Cheers, Bryan Adkins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bryan, I'll keep you you all informed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad, very sad...
    And I was told that illegal logging is also a raising concern. I hope that an efficient response will be found in the future to preserve and restore Niassa beauty.
    All the best,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hunting with Derek in 2009 and saw the harsh reality of the poacher's snare. I am planning a return trip to the Niassa to savor the beauty once more. Incredible trip. Both Paula and derek were highlights of the trip.

    Marc Fong

    ReplyDelete